Thursday, July 29, 2004

.:Totally:. and Banner ads

I had this crazy idea of adding an animated gif banner thing to the top of the Totally UI. This was really to prompt the user to register Totally, (and I'll keep this) but the other good thing is that any business that subscribes to the Total service can have their own banner ad appear on every other copy of Totally that is running.

With current banner ads, you actually need to go to a website to see them. As a business owner, which website do you choose to have your banner ad displayed? And can you be guaranteed that your target audience is going to see it anyway?

Basically, this is an idea ripped straight out of Opera's book. If they can do it, so can I.

So I need a URL inside Totally that will pick up a random banner ad given to PSI by the subscribed business, and each copy of Totally will pick a banner at random. Since the subscribed business doesn't pay for placement (only their monthly fee) there is no guarantee that their banner ad will always be seen. However, a better idea may be to rotate them.

Hmm - I'll have to look at Microsoft's AdRotator component. Must go do that now before I forget.

More soon.

No comments: