Thursday, November 25, 2004

The "Knoppix" Linux distro - a real reason to change

Well, its taken a long time, but I've just found a *real* reason to switch to Linux for practically all my computing needs except developing software.

Knoppix - http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
is simply the best Linux distro I've yet to try. It boots off a cdrom (you'll need a computer capable of booting from the cdrom drive) and you can then install it to the hard disk by starting up a terminal window, su-ing to root, and typing "knx2hd" to start the install process. I just accepted the default answers, and I've got it up and running.

It comes with lots of applications - OpenOffice (MS Office compatible office suite), Mozilla (web browser), cd player, you name it - there's everything you could possibly need or want, and it all works fine.

I would really suggest you download the ISO image, burn it to a cdrom, and try it out. The fact that it runs off the cdrom means you can stick it in your Windows box and your Windows environment will still be safe - no need to install Knoppix in the traditional sense. Run it off the cdrom and see what its like - I just bet that you'll blow away your Windows partition and give the entire disk to Knoppix (eventually)

No comments: