Friday, August 27, 2004

Totally - Database Considerations

Well, this is interesting.

I went to create an installer for Totally that included the demo database I've been testing with.
The database was 143 megabytes - when compressed into the installer, the size of the installer was 51mb.

A bit large for a download. So, since I'm using the Interbase IBConsole to manage my databases, (but delivering the Firebird data engine via MSM's in the installer, which will read an Interbase database anyway) I decided to do a backup and restore.

I've imported around 22,000 MYOB customers into Totally's database, and then deleted them all during my testing, but the database size remained the same (143mb). What's interesting is that now that I've removed all the data from it, and only imported about 500 customers, the database size still remained at 143mb.

Now that I've done a backup and restore using IBConsole, the database is now at a nice tight little 1.7mb. Perfect for an alpha demo download!

Look for it online soon. ;-)

Until next time, its all Totally good.

No comments: